Archive is a very easy to use program for creating and extracting file archives. For example, let's imagine you want to archive your `Mail' directory onto a zip disk:
- Drag it to the Archive program:
- A savebox pops up with the compressed archive. Drag it to the zip drive:
Done! Extracting is just as easy.
- Can create .tgz, .tar.bz2, .zip, .jar and .tar archives.
- Can extract all the above, and .rar, .rpm, .cpio and .deb formats.
- Can compress and decompress files to/from .gz, .uue and .bz2 formats.
- Full drag-and-drop support.
If you don't want to use AddApp to install, then:
- Make sure ROX-Lib2 is installed (e.g. drag it to your ~/.local/lib directory).
- Download the archive above.
- Extract it somewhere, like this:
$ tar xzf archive-2.0.tgz
- Drag a file, directory or archive to it from ROX-Filer. Use the filer's Set Run Action box to make Archive the default handler for compressed files!
There is no need to compile; it's a python program.
Right-click on a directory and choose Customize from the menu. Symlink Archive into the SendTo directory that appears.
You can now create an archive from any directory by right-clicking on the directory and choosing Archive from the menu.