OroboROX is a lightweight Window Manager for the ROX Desktop. OroboROX is in development and not completely stable and could give you problems with some applications. But many people are using this as their everyday WM, so don't hesitate to try it out!
Features and Requirements
- Uses Fontconfig, freetype2 (and of course X11)
- Nice and easy configuration interface (using PyGTK and ROX-Lib2)
- Basic EWMH compliance (some hints are work in progress)
- Fully themable
- Configurable behaviour
- Small memory footprint
The current version of OroboROX comes with a choice of 14 Themes:
Additionally, you can get further Themes, if you like (feel free to add your own):
- Win95 : now schemable!
- b5-flat : Flat and schemabled version of b5 theme
- AlePanther : Yet another OS X clone, but I prefer this to the others
- BlueGreen : Matching GTK-2.0 theme at http://chwombat.net/gtk-bluegreen.shtml
- Simplistix : A clean, simple and schemable theme.
Install by just unpacking them into the Configure/Themes directory of OroboROX
I (Alex Kloss) was unhappy with the Unix Focus' habit of version 0.9.5 to only raise a window when clicked on its border, but not on its content. After fixing (read: ugly hacking the source) it, I found time to whip up a patch to add Sloppy Focus (meaning the same like unix focus, but you can click a window anywhere to raise it). This patch will hopefully not be valid for too long, since it looks like the raise/focus stuff is settled soon.
Since this patch only worked on 0.9.5 and me being still unhappy about this raise/focus stuff, I tried to resolve it with another patch (now for version 0.9.6-6), which eradicates the focus policies and brings the user back in control. Since I'm not too familar with the Configuration interface, some translations are missing and I haven't found a way to let the user choose policies to automatically set the focus/raise options - maybe Guido or Jonatan could help here. I hope this patch will find its way into future versions of oroborox.
Both this patches are obsoleted by version 0.9.6-11.
Jonatan Liljedahl has uploaded a Patch for OroboROX 0.9.5 with the following changes.
- made force_buttons enable all allowed actions too and not only the visual button drawing.
- fixed button-filter bug that made it stop drawing buttons when it encountered a disabled button, thinking that it was the title.
- fixed bug that made sticky-matched clients not have their desktop set to -1
- added check for string "mod4" in keyboard parsing, now Hyper modifier works.
- removed unused label variable in keyboard options GUI
- made clientCycle only update stuff once per keypress-cycle.
- added alternative window cycling: an infobox at the center of the screen shows title instead of raising the clients. It is shown with same font and color as titlebars, if no scheme is selected it falls back to black on white.
- fixed bogus code in check for min_size==max_size, fixes resize/maximize problems with firefox. (by Guido Schimmels)
By Tony Houghton, this fixes the odd behaviour caused by maximising a window only either horizontally or vertically then reverting to its previous size.
- In OroboROX 0.9.8, trying to move a window can make it hang, due to passing an invalid cursor to XGrabPointer.
- If the configfile differs from what OroboROX expects, it stops running
- Firefox and some KDE apps indicate they are maximed but don't report the proper geometry. OroboROX should handle this case.
- mozplugger forces OroboROX to open empty windows that aren't cleared after the plugin's exit. It has yet to be determined if the problem is in OroboROX or in mozplugger, but some other WMs don't show this error. Update: the error seems to be on mozpluggers side.