Last version supporting GTK 2.0: 2.1.3
Last version supporting GTK 2.2: 2.2.0
ROX-Filer is a fast and powerful graphical file manager for the X Window System. You can use it as a small and fast filer within your current desktop...
...or get it to manage your pinboard, panels and applications (see below for more screenshots).
Downloading and installing the filer
There are many ways to get the filer:
$ 0alias rox http://rox.sourceforge.net/2005/interfaces/ROX-Filer
ROX-Filer's manual is available on-line.
- Fast scanning of directories (in the background),
- Uncluttered display (popup menus are used throughout),
- Background file operations (copy, move, link, delete, permissions, find),
- Powerful expression-based find feature with on-line quick reference (eg 'mtime after 2 days ago and size > 10Mb' finds files based on their modification time and size)
- Mounts and unmounts filesystems (floppies, CDs, etc),
- Supports the XDND protocol, which provides for drag-and-drop file loading, and the XDS extension which allows drag-and-drop saving,
- Fully configurable from the Options dialog box,
- User-defined key bindings for all menu entries,
- A pop-up minibuffer allows navigating the filesystem using shell-style tab completion,
- The minibuffer can also be used for quickly entering shell commands,
- Full manual provided (HTML format).
- Support for running freedesktop.org '.desktop' files.